Advocacy is about educating decision makers about the impact
of the public policy decisions they are contemplating.
The Advocacy Committee’s mission statement is: “Through collaboration, education, and commitment to NAA PAC, represent the interests of the residential property management industry and communicate those interests to members, the public, and elected officials. Deliberate over legislative issues impacting the rental property management industry, assist the SCAA Board and lobbyist with crafting SCAA’s position, and propose legislative agendas to the Board of Directors.”
Advocacy Committee Chair:
Katie Spillers, Loebsack & Brownlee
Advocacy (Government Affairs) Committee Makeup:
- The committee shall be chaired by an SCAA current or past Board Member appointed by the SCAA President.
- The Vice Chair shall be appointed by the SCAA president.
- Each SCAA Affiliate shall appoint at least 1 owner/manager member to the committee.
- In the event an Affiliate fails to appoint an owner/manager member to the committee, the SCAA President may appoint an individual on their behalf.
- The committee shall also be comprised of at least 3 at-large owner/manager or supplier members from a slate of members prepared by the committee chair.
- The SCAA President shall be an ex-officio member of this committee.
- 51% of members shall constitute a quorum.
- Other individual members may join this committee upon approval by the committee chair.
In keeping with its mission statement, the advocacy committee shall be responsible for the following:
- Providing networking opportunities for members with government officials / legislators.
- Assisting affiliates with meeting their annual NAA PAC fair share goal.
- Working with the National Apartment Association, SCAA Board of Directors to support and advance SCAA’s legislative agenda through messaging to promote legislative advocacy efforts on behalf of the multifamily housing industry both inside and outside of South Carolina.
- Collaborating with the Education Committee on the planning and execution of the annual Advocacy and Education Conference.